Driving a battery circular economy
ABRI and its members are driving innovation and investment to foster a safe, sustainable and world leading battery recycling industry over the medium term.
The Australian battery recycling sector, with support of companies across the battery supply chain, is working towards these goals:
- Becoming the leading downstream supplier of low emissions and sustainably produced minerals feedstock for battery manufacturing; and
- Australia becoming an innovation hub and developer of technology to support safe and sustainable battery recycling and repurposing and reverse logistics.
ABRI was established in 2018 and consists of recyclers, OEMs and battery repurposing companies, waste sector companies, government entities, research institutions and environment groups to promote the collection, recycling and safe disposal of all batteries.
ABRI’s role includes research, advocacy, education and stakeholder engagement to promote safe and environmentally responsible recycling of all batteries at end of life.
A circular economy for batteries has these benefits:
- Recovery of critical minerals and other materials for feedstock in new products
- Reduction in the environmental impacts of mining and manufacturing virgin materials
- Reduction in the environmental impacts of landfill